Friday, May 2, 2008

She was being wooed...

This morning I walked out of my garage apartment to go to work. When I stepped out the door I almost clocked a peacock hen that was apparently standing in front of my door as I opened it. The hen scurried on beyond my truck into the driveway where then I saw "Big Boy", the male peacock at the end of the driveway.

I suddenly realized that something amazing may be about to happen. It was like reading one of John Eldredge's books where he is describing an event on one of his great excursions or trips. I went ahead and got my camera out because I had a feeling that I may need it for this.

I watched patiently for a minute and began to see Big Boy's feathers starting to spread and fan out, and then suddenly they went up to create this incredible array of metallic greens, blues and gold. It is a truly magnificent thing to watch and see. And the fact that one minute he stands there the size of good sized Turkey (w/long feathers) and then the next he literally can spread out almost the width of my driveway with his feathers.


At this point, a normal assumption if you don't really know much about a peacock is that there was probably about to be a brawl, but that is not the case actually.

He was wooing her and she was definitely responding. She strutted up to him and was standing there right in front of him and they were just looking at each other. It was really neat to see as his long feathers spanned out overhead and around her. I was getting to watch first hand one of the beautiful shows of the day from God's own venue.

I know you may be wondering what happened next, well, I had to get to work and they were unfortunately in my way of backing out, so I had to spoil their fun and move them along from within my drive way. The show was over but it was amazing to see it all.

A thought occurred to me while this was all happening and its been on my mind pretty much all day. Even though this was 2 of God's creatures playing their natural roles in their life, I could not help but correlate this some to God's pursuit of us. How He brings forth all of His majesty, beauty, security, and affection. How He uses His wings often to protect us, to heal us, to take us in, to rescue us, to shield us from the sin of the world. He too is romancing us, He too is wooing us to show us that our longings are to be quenched in and through Him. But if your like me, often too busy to slow down and watch, we can often miss this beautiful show of love and affection that He has for you and I.

No comments: