Friday, April 25, 2008

"Beauty"

I love to write, as if you couldn't tell by reading my blog. But lately, I have to say that it has been strange but I really have not had much to say. Not sure really why for the most part, but I think it is something God is doing in me right now with showing me an appreciation for His beauty. The world around us has so much to see, so much to smell, and so much to experience, but I wonder how much I really take advantage of it all. Lately, I have been reading a couple of different books, one "Way of the Wild Heart" which I've mentioned before and another book I just picked up called "A Severe Mercy" by Sheldon Vanauken and CS Lewis. Don't ask me why I am reading both of these books at the same time but I have learned so much from each of them in different ways and some similar ways.

The main point here is beauty. It is amazing how much beauty is around us all of the time. A beautiful sunset, a breathtaking view, the flowers of spring, and so on. I don't know that I have always really taken the time to stop and just appreciate it...until now. Lately God has been bringing my attention into focus with more and more of these things. Like even tonight or rather late this afternoon, a friend of mine and I went to Oak Mt to ride the trails again. You may remember from a past entry we went last weekend too, but that was around the middle of the day. It is amazing the difference the way the trail looked tonight. The bright sun still shining above but not as intense as during the middle of the day, casting an entirely different depth of shadows and scenery. I had never really thought about this on my rides in the past, but the sheer magnificence of it all is breathtaking in itself.

To listen while riding through the woods is another thing I enjoy doing. I don't know why but it does intrigue me for some reason. You will hear nothing for a little while then suddenly the leaves will rustle just to your right or left, it may be a squirrel or maybe even a deer looking for food. There is so much there but not even enough depth to just take it all in. God's beauty is in everything and when reading some of Eldredge's books he talks about the beauty and art that CS Lewis uses to describe in his books. I know many of you have read many of his books, and I've read a few but honestly never really paid that much attention to all of the descriptive detail. This week even while reading some of the "A Severe Mercy" I picked up on this in a way that I have never before and I have to say it was amazing and beautiful. CS Lewis and this guy Venauken are both very descriptive writers with an ability to describe that will allow your imagination to take you right there. This is beauty, and right now, I am craving that beauty. God has given us so much, and now it's time for me to stop and see, smell, touch and enjoy all that He has given so graciously. Thank You Lord, for all You have given me, help me to take the time to stop and enjoy it.

No comments: