Sunday, April 27, 2008

My ride yesterday...a lot like life.

Yesterday, I went to Oak Mountain to attempt the red trail loop on my mountain bike. It was an awesome ride for the most part. I started at the north trail-head and began my climb up the mountain. I figured I would get the hard climb out of the way early so that I would not have to do it mid-way through. This turned out to be a great idea considering I was toast when I finished back at the north trail-head.

During my ride, I took my time on the initial climb up the mountain. I took my time to just see all that was around me. The pathway up the mountain is a small roadway or fire road as some would call it. It winds through the woods with a slight uphill grade along the way. Crossing several streams and seeing the beauty of the woods was a delight of my ride. To just see how God painted the woods, as a painting of His nature. It was so calming and quiet. I was on my own out there with the occasional hiker or biker passing by, so it was a great time for reflection. Thinking about the winding path, the streams, the extreme uphill parts, the jagged rock sections and then the very smooth paths; this is kind how life is. Sometimes we have the smooth path to ride along and not much really going on, maybe even some great things, but nothing to stress or cause doubt in our hearts. Then sometimes we may be struggling with something, where in that struggle we may encounter the jagged rocks that can knock us down as easily as it can blow a tire. Then there are the water ways and extreme hills that cannot be avoided. The only way is to go straight through it or on up the hill. Regardless, what I realized is that every time I encountered more difficult terrain, there was always a smooth path just beyond. A place of rest and regeneration. We often feel like we are going through the difficult terrain of life, but if we wait on God, and trust Him with our lives, He will be sure to bring about those smooth pathways once again.

This was an awesome day, being my third or forth time back on the bike in 4 or 5 years, and I actually rode the entire 17 mile loop. I felt great about this. It was an accomplishment for me that I am thankful to God for. There were many times along the way that I literally asked God to not only help me to enjoy the beauty His place, but also that He would give me the strength and energy to finish the ride. He did, and I finished. Thank You Lord.

No comments: